Minutes Count in Stroke Treatment - Learn to Recognize Signs of Stroke
Stroke is always a medical emergency. It can come on suddenly, at any time and any place. It is important to recognize the signs and get immediate medical attention.
Speedy stroke diagnosis and treatment can help dramatically improve recovery from strokes, including a TIA (transient ischemic attack) or mini-stroke.
Five Major Warning Signs
The five major warnings signs of stroke are:
- Numbness, weakness or paralysis of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body.
- Confusion or trouble speaking or understanding.
- Trouble seeing with one or both eyes.
- Trouble walking, dizziness, or loss of balance or coordination.
- Severe, sudden onset of headache with no known cause.
Learn more facts about stroke.
If you or someone you know experiences any of these symptoms, call 911 and get to a hospital emergency room for rapid diagnosis and treatment.