International Early Lung Cancer Action Program (I-ELCAP)
Free Lung Cancer Screening for Eligible Participants
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in the United States. Only 15 percent of patients survive 5 years after diagnosis, as half of cases present with advanced stage disease. Early detection offers hope for reduced mortality.
The International Early Lung Cancer Action Program (I-ELCAP) is the largest, long-term study to determine the usefulness of annual screening using low-dose spiral CT (computed tomography) to detect lung cancer in smokers and ex-smokers.
Who should participate in I-ELCAP to be screened for lung cancer?
People who are eligible for lung cancer screening:
- Are at least 40 years of age
- Have not undergone a chest CT in the past three years
- Are current smokers or former smokers
- Have a personal physician to follow up on the screening results
Why Get Screened at Holy Cross Hospital?
Holy Cross Hospital is the only hospital in the Washington, DC metropolitan area to participate in the International Early Lung Cancer Action Program since 2004. Holy Cross Hospital has been enrolling participants in this research study for the past decade.
Participants who undergo lung cancer screening at Holy Cross Hospital will have convenient access to lung care services and other resources to help reduce the risk of lung cancer and encourage a healthy lifestyle.
What to Expect at Your Lung Cancer Screening
Your lung cancer screening appointment should only take about an hour. A low-dose, non-invasive form of CT scan limits the radiation exposure to participants and produces high-resolution images. This test does not require drinking contrast fluid or intravenous injection.
Anyone who meets the eligibility criteria for lung cancer screening can request an appointment using our online form or call 301-754-7695.
Lung Cancer Screening I-ELCAP Team
Holy Cross Hospital has a world-class multidisciplinary team to manage lung cancer screening and treatment.
- Cheryl A. Aylesworth, M.D., Holy Cross Hospital Principal Investigator, Oncology
- Bryan Steinberg, M.D., Holy Cross Hospital Sub -Investigator, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Kunda Biswas, M.D., Holy Cross Hospital Sub -Investigator, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Sameer A. Pandit, M.D., Holy Cross Hospital Diagnostic Radiology
- Benjamin M. Wisotsky, M.D., Holy Cross Hospital Diagnostic Radiology
- Eduardo Mendives, Holy Cross Hospital Clinical Research Associate
Download the flyer:
If you are interested, please contact the Holy Cross Hospital Cancer Institute at 301-754-7985 or 301-754-7695 or complete our appointment request form.