Community-Based and In-Hospital Hospice Care
Holy Cross Hospital provides three options for caring for the terminally ill in our community: in-hospital hospice care at Holy Cross Hospital, a comprehensive community-based program, and in-patient hospice care at Sanctuary at Holy Cross, a full-service nursing and rehabilitation center.
Holy Cross Hospice Community-Based Services emphasizes the importance of maintaining patients in their home environment, whether that is their family home, assisted living facility, a group home or a nursing home. Home hospice care is available for Holy Cross Hospital patients, as well as anyone requiring hospice in the Montgomery County community.
Holy Cross Hospice first opened in 1967 and has a long history of service. It is state-licensed, CHAP accredited and was the first Medicare certified hospice in Montgomery County, Md. The Holy Cross Hospice interdisciplinary team works with patients, their families and physicians to create a plan of terminal illness support and end-of-life palliative care tailored to each person’s individual needs, including:
- Skilled Nursing: Registered nurses and licensed practical nurses assess, evaluate and provide terminal illness care to patients with a variety of conditions. All of our nurses have special training in pain control and end-of-life symptom management.
- Social Work: Medical social workers provide planning, counseling and support for patients and families to help them deal with social, emotional, financial and practical issues.
- Personal Assistance: Certified nursing assistants help ensure safety for older adults and seriously ill patients by providing assistance with daily activities such as bathing, dressing, light housekeeping, meal preparation and running errands.
- Spiritual Support: Spiritual Care representatives provide end-of-life spiritual care to our hospice patients and their families. Spiritual support is available for all religious affiliations.
- General Support: Volunteers, specially trained in hospice, work with the professional staff to provide practical assistance, respite and support to patients and families.
- Bereavement Support: Individual grief counseling for adults and children is available to familiy members and friends of loved ones cared for by our Hospice program. We also offer groups for adults in the community experiencing grief due to the loss of someone they love. In addition we offer community counseling services in school or the workplace after a traumatic event.
While we emphasize home care there are times when either because of acute pain or symptom management issues or those caring for you at home need respite care, we would recommend a short stay in our Bayles Center for Hospice and Palliative Care located at Sanctuary at Holy Cross. The center provides inpatient hospice care. Our hospice staff is on-call 24/7 at the full-service residential nursing and rehabilitation facility. The team coordinates terminal illness care and makes routine visits to patients in the hospice care unit to be certain their physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs are met.
For more information on Holy Cross Hospice, please call 301-754-7740.