Enroll Now for Health Insurance or Medicaid Coverage
Open enrollment for health insurance through Maryland Health Connection, the state's official health insruance marketplace, is now underway. Below are key information and deadlines residents need to know to get covered and stay covered in 2015:
- Open enrollment for health care coverage through Maryland Health Connection ends February 15, 2015. During this time, all legal Maryland residents may apply for health insurance and check to see if they qualify for financial assistance to help pay for insurance. Residents who bought a qualified health plan in 2014 should re-apply to ensure they received the best plan for them in 2015. Enroll online now.
- For financial assistance with healthcare coverage starting January 1, the deadline for enrollment is December 18, 2014. Residents who signed up for a qualified health plan (QHP) through Maryland Health Connection in 2014 and received financial assistance with their premiums, will need to re-enroll in a plan by December 18 to be eligible for a discount in coverage that starts January 1, 2015. Those who had a QHP and financial help in 2014, must create a new account and application to receive financial assistance in 2015. This deadline is applicable only for those participating in QHPs, not Medicaid participants. Maryland residents who enroll from December 19 to January 18, will have coverage that starts February 1. If residents enroll in a QHP from January 19 to February 15, coverage will start on March 1. QHP applications received after December 18 will not be eligible for financial assistance. View financial assistance information.
- Medicaid enrollment is year-round for those who qualify. Families and individuals who qualify for Medicaid or the Maryland Children's Health program (MCHP) may enroll at any time during the year. Learn more about Medicaid and check if you may qualify.
How to Enroll
Maryland residents may compare insurance plans and prices and check their eligibility for lower insurance costs:
at Holy Cross Hospital
Holy Cross Hospital has partnered with Interfaith Works to provide free, in-person assistance on
Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Call 301-708-1620 to schedule an appointment.
- Online at marylandhealthconnection.gov — compare insurance plans and prices and check eligibility for lower insurance costs through financial assistance or Medicaid. Click here for a checklist to get ready for applying.
- By calling 855-642-8572 (TTY 855-642-8573) — get free telephone assistance from trained personnel who can provide general informatin about health insurance coverage and help you enroll in a plan that's best for you.
- In-person at sign up locations and events throughout the state — Maryland Health Connection has established "regional connector entities" to help Maryland residents enroll. Capital Health Connection the regional connector entity for Montogmery and Prince George's County residents, works with local organizations to provide in-person assistance at several locations.
Watch to Learn More About Getting Health Insurance through Maryland Health Connection
About the Affordable Care Act
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires everyone legally living in the U.S. to have health insurance. It gives millions of individuals with too little, or no insurance, access to health plans at different cost levels. The law also provides financial assistance to those who qualify based on family size and income. By law, under the Affordable Care Act, most people over age 18 must have health insurance or face tax penalties. If you have Medicaid or Medicare coverage, that meets the requirement. Benefits include doctor visits, hospital stays, wellness care, prescriptions, emergency services, maternal and newborn care, pediatric care and more. Ten Essential Health Benefits must be covered in every plan and certain Preventive Care Services must be provided at NO additional cost to patients. Also, patients cannot be turned away due to pre-existing conditions, as has been the case in the past. Learn more about the ACA.