Open Enrollment for Qualified Health Plans
Open enrollment to buy a qualified health plan for 2016 has ended. However, if you've had a major life event or special circumstance – such as getting married or divorced, having a baby, or losing other health coverage – you may be eligible to buy a qualified health plan for 2016 or change plans.
You have 30 days from the date of the triggering event to notify Maryland Health Connection and select your plan, if you are eligible to enroll.
See if you may still qualify to enroll.
Enrollment in Medicaid and the Maryland Children's Health Program (MCHP) is open year-round. There are three ways to enroll:
Elise Riley, medical director, Community Care Delivery, meets with a patient at the Holy Cross Health Center in Aspen Hill. All Holy Cross Health Centers accept Medicaid through Maryland Physicians Care and United HealthCare, and care for the uninsured.
View Information Needed to Enroll in Medicaid:
Selecting a Managed Care Organization (MCO)
Within 14 days of enrolling in Medicaid/Maryland Children's Health Program (MCHP), you will receive a red and white card in the mail. Do not throw this card away.
You will also receive information on how to choose a managed care organization (MCO) to provide your Medicaid benefits through the HealthChoice program. You must choose an MCO or the state will automatically assign you to one. View MCO Comparison Chart.
Medicaid/MCHP recipients in the HealthChoice program have two opportunities to switch MCOs:
- Within the first 90 days of enrolling in Medicaid/MCHP
- After being enrolled in your current MCO for at least 12 months
If you meet the requirements listed above and would like to change your MCO, please contact the Medicaid enrollment broker at 1-800-977-7388.
Renewing Medicaid Benefits: Step-by-Step Guide
If you or members of your family are enrolled in Medicaid or the Maryland Children’s Health Program (MCHP), you will reapply for coverage once a year. When you get a letter from the State saying you need to reapply (or if you think it’s time for you to do so), you can reapply any of these ways:
- Online: MarylandHealthConnection.gov.
- Use this Step-by-Step Guide (information in English and Spanish) to create an account and complete your application.
- Recipients renewing their Medicaid benefits should be sure to complete all questions in the application’s “Special Enrollment” section.
- At the end, be sure to click “Proceed to Enrollment.”
- After you enroll, check your account’s “My Inbox” tab to see if any additional documents are needed to verify your information.
- By Phone: 1-855-642-8572 (TTY: 1-855-642-8573)
If you would like to switch your MCO, please contact the Medicaid enrollment broker at 1-800-977-7388 after completing your annual Medicaid renewal.