Pinpointing and Treating Back and Neck Injury and Illness
Experts in Pain Relief, Minimally Invasive Surgery
Diagnosis: At Holy Cross Hospital, sophisticated neuroradiological techniques, such as X-ray, CT scan and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), are used to produce images to evaluate and diagnose neck and back disorders.
|Advanced back and neck surgeries relieve a lifetime of suffering for Joy Lazaroff. Read her story
These imaging tools provide important information to physicians so that they can develop just the right treatment plan for each patient. There are a number of treatment options available and no two patients' pain or problem is exactly alike.
Minimally Invasive Surgery: Holy Cross Hospital has been a leader in developing and adopting a number of new advanced minimally invasive procedures. Our neurosurgical and orthopedic surgery teams perform hundreds of successful procedures on the back and neck every year.
Patients who have less invasive surgeries experience less blood loss and fewer surgical complications, and shorter hospital stays. In minimally invasive or "smaller-incision" procedures, surgeons use surgical microscopes and endoscopes to help guide instruments to the affected area of the spine, without damaging nearby tissue. These "smaller incision" procedures are used to treat a number of conditions such as:
- Vertebroplasty to correct spine fractures.
- Kyphoplasty to treat compression fractures caused by osteoporosis.
- Microdiscectomy, the highly successful procedure to treat pain from herniated disks.
Pain Management: Patients with spinal disorders will often be evaluated by the hospital's pain management team, which offers a number of therapies to reduce acute and chronic pain:
- Medication, including the use of innovative drug delivery technology, such as a drug pump or patch worn on the skin
- Cervical, thoracic and lumbar interlaminar epidural steroid injections to decrease inflammation
- Localized anesthetic injections, such as sympathetic nerve blocks
- Physical therapy to strengthen muscles and manage back pain
For more information about Holy Cross Hospital's Neurosciences services, please fill out our brief contact form, email email@example.com or call 301-754-8266.
To find a physician or make an appointment, search the physician directory or call 301-754-8800.