Testing and preparation for pediatric same-day surgeries vary slightly from those for adults. The following guidelines apply:
- A pediatrician must complete a history and physical for children 12 years and under.
- Patients 13 years and older may have their history and physical conducted by their pediatrician or in Holy Cross Hospital's Ambulatory Care Center. To make an appointment at the hospital, please call 301-754-7290.
- A copy of the child's history and physical must be faxed to the pediatric unit at 301-754-7609 at least 72 hours prior to the scheduled procedure or surgery.
- Lab tests usually are not required for pediatric patients unless specifically ordered by their pediatrician. If lab tests are required, the results must be faxed to the pediatric unit at 301-754-7609 at least 72 hours prior to the surgery.
- Parents may donate blood for their child by contacting the Holy Cross Hospital blood bank information line at 301-754-7337 at least 10 days before surgery.
If you are a foster parent or the legal guardian of the child having surgery, you must bring legal documents with you to the hospital verifying your relationship to the child.