Leading the Way in Innovative Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
Holy Cross Health is a regional leader in the development and use of pioneering—and less invasive—gynecologic surgery techniques. Our minimally invasive gynecology program is recognized for excellence, quality and innovation and has earned a national reputation for groundbreaking clinical care and research.
In 2013, at Holy Cross Hospital alone, our physician partners performed 1,125 gynecologic and gynecologic oncology inpatient surgeries, more than any other hospital in Maryland. We are a referral center for the most complex cases, and a national center for physician training in the most current minimally invasive surgical techniques.
Expert Team, Pioneering Procedures
At Holy Cross Hospital located in Silver Spring, and soon at Holy Cross Germantown Hospital (opening in October 2014), a blend of state-of-the-art technology and a highly skilled, expert team of gynecologic surgeons, gynecologic oncologists and urologic gynecologists offer safe, minimally invasive surgical options for patients with gynecologic cancers—as well as a variety of other common and uncommon gynecology problems, from fibroids to incontinence.
We’ve been on the leading edge in the use of robotic surgery —including the state-of-the-art da Vinci® surgical system—and advanced laparoscopic procedures that are reducing the need for open, more invasive surgical techniques. Today most patients are candidates for these minimally invasive surgical treatment options. They benefit from our team’s wide scope of experience and expertise in these techniques, which translate into better outcomes, less pain, shorter hospital stays, fewer complications, faster recovery and smaller scars for patients.
After surgery at Holy Cross Hospital, patients recover in our unique Women's Surgical Unit, which features all private rooms, a team of women’s health experts and provides patients with access to support services, such as pain management and personalized education.
Recognized for Excellence
The Holy Cross Hospital minimally invasive gynecology surgery program has earned a number of distinctions:
- Designation as a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (COEMIG) by the AAGL, the leading association promoting minimally invasive gynecologic surgery, and Surgical Review Corporation (SRC). Holy Cross Hospital is one of only 170 hospitals in the world to have earned this recognition for clinical quality.
- COEMIG designation awarded to 10 Holy Cross Hospital gynecologic surgeons—of a total of just 440 worldwide.
- Active hub for physician training that includes:
- Joint minimally invasive surgery fellowship with George Washington University School of Medicine
- Joint minimally invasive gynecologic surgery fellowship with Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, which received the highest possible rating and a four-year certification from AAGL in 2014
- Continuing education about the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques for surgeons from across the country through the Holy Cross Hospital’s GATE Institute
- Program recognized for high performance in gynecology—and Holy Cross Hospital ranked fourth overall of 70 hospitals in the Washington, D.C., metro area in the 2014 “Best Hospitals” listing by U.S. News & World Report.
- Boasts a dedicated women’s surgical unit with specially trained nurses and private rooms, the first of its kind in suburban Maryland.
- A major research site for many of the most promising advances in gynecologic care.
For more information about Gynecologic Surgery at Holy Cross Health, please fill out our brief contact form or call Sonia Portillo, program coordinator at 301-754-7774.
To find a physician or to make an appointment, search the physician directory or call 301-754-8800.