Here are some tips to prepare your home if you will be having joint replacement surgery or for physical and medical conditions, you need to prevent falls:
- Arrange furniture so that you have plenty of room to move about.
- Remove clutter (ie: newspapers, toys) to prevent tripping and/or falling.
- Watch out for pets. Consider keeping them contained when you are walking around.
- Keep electrical cords out of walkways.
- Keep a small table with frequently needed items close to your chair/bed.
- Keep a telephone within easy reach.
- Make arrangements to stay on the first level if you have a lot of stairs to your bedroom.
- Consider an alternate entrance if there are many stairs leading into your house.
- Arrange your cabinets so that frequently used items are within easy reach.
- Be aware of doorway thresholds and waxed floors as these can lead to falls.
- Prepare meals ahead of time.
- Set up a schedule for assistance with daily activities.
- Arrange for someone to call in a couple of times a day to see if you need anything (if you are home alone).