Reduce your diabetes risk and gain tools for a healthy lifestyle
The Diabetes Prevention Program can help you reduce the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes and help you adopt and maintain a healthy lifestyle to reduce your chances of developing diabetes. This evidence-based program helps individuals with pre-diabetes prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.
Diabetes is a common condition and is on the increase
- 86 million American adults have pre-diabetes.
- 9 out of 10 people with pre-diabetes don’t know that they have it.
Diabetes is a serious disease
- Diabetes is the key leading cause of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, amputation and blindness.
- Diabetes is one of the leading causes of death in Maryland
Diabetes is preventable
- Studies shows that lifestyle changes such as eating healthy, increasing physical activity and losing weight can help prevent type 2 diabetes.
About the Program
This FREE Diabetes Prevention Program runs for a period of 12 months. This 12-month lifestyle modification program offers nutritional guidance, exercise sessions and support to help prevent or delay diabetes onset. Throughout the program, a trained Lifestyle Coach will give participants the help and support they need to make and sustain lifestyle changes to prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.
Participants receive tools to help them monitor activity patterns, eating habits and physical activity to assist them in achieving success.
To qualify for this program, you must be:
- At least 18 years old
- Have a Body mass index (BMI) of 24 or higher (for Asians 22 or higher)
- A recent documented blood test indicating pre-diabetes
- Fasting blood glucose of 100 to 125 mg/dl
- Two –hour glucose test with result of 140-99mg/dl
- HbA1c of 5.7 to 6.4
- Clinically diagnosed gestational diabetes
- Lose 7% of your current body weight
- Gradually increase your physical activity to at least 150 minutes per week
Individuals who enroll in the Diabetes Prevention Program will:
- Participate in a one-year Diabetes Prevention Program that includes
- Core Session – consisting of 12 weekly sessions
- Post-Core Session – consisting of 4 bi-weekly/monthly sessions
- Support Session – consisting of 6 monthly sessions
- Self–Monitor weight
- Track and learn more about healthy eating and physical activity.
- Learn how to problem-solve and stay motivated.
- Become a "fat detective"
- Keys to healthy eating out
- Being active: a way of life
- Managing stress
- Talk back to negative thoughts
- Ways to stay motivated
- Problem solving
To obtain information on diabetes prevention screenings at Holy Cross Hospital and in the community, please call 301-754-8800