C.U.T.I.E. - Community United for at Term Infants and Education
The CUTIE program is a support program for pregnant women in Montgomery County to help to reduce infant mortality (the death of a baby up to one year) funded by the Maryland Department of Health and Hygiene Office of Minority Health and Health Disparities.
Did you know?
- One of the leading causes of infant mortality is preterm birth and low birth weight (births occurring before 37 weeks and babies weighing less than 5 pounds 5 ounces at birth)
- African American/Black women are at higher risk for having a preterm birth or low birth wieght baby than other races and ethnicities
- Pregnant teens of all races and ethnicities are also at high risk for having a preterm birth or low birth weight baby
The goal of the CUTIE program is to reduce infant mortality by:
- Helping women to be and stay healthy before becoming pregnant
- Supporting women during pregnancy to reduce the chance of premature birth or low birth weight babies
- Supporting families for the first year of the baby’s life
What does the support program include?
- Prenatal and postnatal classes: exercise, yoga, baby care, breastfeeding, and birthing classes
- Monthly support from our CUTIE Coordinator by phone, e-mail, and/or in person
- Referral to other support services in the community
- Assistance with obtaining equipment and supplies for the baby
- Separate programs for pregnant and parenting teens
- Special events at Holy Cross Hospital or in the Community
If you are a Montgomery County resident of any income level AND one of the following, you are eligible to be in the CUTIE program!
- African American and Black women
- Pregnant and parenting teens of all ethnic/racial backgrounds
- Women who have had a previous pregnancy loss or preterm birth
- Women who are "high risk" due to medical complications of pregnancy (high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity)
- Contact Us: For more information about the CUTIE Program, call 301-754-7163, or contact Patricia Keating, Manager of Perinatal Education at email@example.com or Kendal Hubbs, Perinatal Education Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check out our prenatal and postnatal classes: Fees are waived for prenatal and postnatal classes for CUTIE program participants. View classes here.
- Sign Up for our e-Newsletter: Our free weekly email newsletter, The Parent Review, provides information tailored to the week of your pregnancy or the age of your newborn. Sign up here.