Team-Approach to Patient Care Services Fosters Better Results
The program takes a team approach to diagnosis and treatment of brain conditions. It relies on a number of medical and surgical specialists and many of the hospital's patient care services to ensure comprehensive care.
The patient care team delivers holistic care focused on treating the disorder or injury, and providing patients with emotional, rehabilitative and social support, as well. Patient and family education is a critical part of our coordinated care delivery. The team works hand-in-hand with each other and the patient to foster the best possible recovery.
The Brain Care Program Team:
- Neurosurgeons evaluate patients and perform surgery, using minimally invasive procedures whenever possible.
- Neurologists are trained to diagnose and treat disorders of the human nervous system, which includes the brain, spinal cord, nerves, and muscles.
- Neuroradiologists use imaging techniques to visualize problems in the brain and map the brain prior to surgery.
- Epileptologists are neurologists with special training and experience diagnosing and treating people with epilepsy and other seizure disorders.
- Oncologists diagnose and treat brain cancer.
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians evaluate patients and develop treatment plans to help them recover functional abilities.
- Physician assistants help carry out patient care plans from evaluation through recovery, working together with brain care team physicians.
- Nurse practitioners ensure continuity of care for patients and closely monitor patients in the Neuro Critical Care Unit.
- The nurse navigator helps patients with brain cancer through the admitting process and provides support and education throughout their hospitalization.
- Social workers provide support and referral to community resources for patients and families.
- Advanced physical therapy specialists help patients recover function following surgery using exercise, body mechanics instruction and manual therapy.
- Occupational therapists help patients relearn the skills of day-to-day living that have been impaired due to illness.
- Speech therapists help patients with language difficulties learn to communicate.
For more information about Holy Cross Hospital's Neurosciences services, please fill out our brief contact form, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-754-8266.
To find a physician or make an appointment, search the physician directory or call 301-754-8800.