Team Approach to Patient-Centered Acute Care for Seniors
At the heart of Holy Cross Hospital’s commitment to senior patient care is our participation in two nationally respected senior health care initiatives: the Acute Care for Elders Program (ACE) and Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders (NICHE).
As a NICHE hospital—one of only two in Montgomery County and four in Maryland—our health care team is focused on recognizing, treating and preventing health problems that are unique to patients 65 years old and older. And as an ACE hospital, we take a coordinated, compassionate approach to care that promotes the best possible result for every patient. Ours is one of only three ACE units in hospitals throughout the entire state.
At Holy Cross, you benefit from our commitment to patient-centered services, the expertise of our interdisciplinary team of geriatric medicine professionals and a care plan tailored specifically to your needs.
The key to the success of our ACE unit is attention to details that make all the difference to your hospital experience and to your recovery:
- Emphasis on patient dignity, comfort and safety
- A team approach to care with physicians, geriatric nurse practitioners, registered nurses, nursing assistants, a nurse educator, physical medicine specialists, pharmacists, social workers, case managers and registered dieticians
- Clear, constant communication between patients, families and caregivers
- Focus on mental and physical functioning, and spiritual well being
- Special care for skin problems and bladder/bowel issues
- Attention to medication safety, pain management and nutrition
- A unique Progressive Activity Program and specially trained mobility technicians to assist you or your loved one in getting out of bed as early and as often as possible to prevent mental and physical decline
- Holistic care that features compassionate listening, hand-holding and socialization to ward off potential depression and delirium
- Careful discharge planning for a safe return to home or to rehabilitation services or nursing care
- Follow-up care after you leave the hospital to make sure your needs are being met