Holy Cross Hospital is one of the largest hospitals in Maryland. Founded in 1963 by the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Cross, today Holy Cross Hospital is a 443-bed, not-for-profit teaching hospital caring for more than 192,000 patients each year. Holy Cross Hospital is located in Silver Spring, just north of Washington, D.C., and near the Capital Beltway and Metro transportation system.
Nationally recognized for high quality and innovative health care, Holy Cross Hospital is one of only 147 U.S. hospitals and the only hospital in Maryland and the greater Washington, D.C., region to earn Top Performer on Key Quality Measures recognition four years in a row, from The Joint Commission, the main accreditation organization for U.S. hospitals.
- With more than 8,600 deliveries each year, Holy Cross Hospital delivers more babies and cares for more newborns with complex medical issues than any other hospital in Maryland or the District of Columbia, and is among the largest single-site hospital providers of obstetric services in the United States.
- Holy Cross Hospital is leading not only the state of Maryland but also the nation in offering specialized medicine that meets the specific needs of patients 65 and older, their families and caregivers. Holy Cross Hospital created the nation’s first and region's only Seniors Emergency Center, which has become a national model.
- The Neuroscience Program brings to the community expertise in the screening, diagnosis and treatment of complex brain and spine disorders, including specialized neurosurgery services, an advanced Primary Stroke Center, and a Level III Epilepsy Center accredited by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.
- The Holy Cross Hospital Cancer Institute cares for more than 1,000 cancer inpatients annually, more than any other hospital in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties.
- Holy Cross Hospital is at the forefront of progress in minimally invasive surgery. As a regional leader in women’s surgery, specialists at the hospital perform more inpatient gynecologic and gynecologic oncology surgeries than any other hospital in Maryland. Each year, the hospital’s orthopedic and neurosurgical specialists perform more than a thousand procedures, including joint replacement surgeries and complex procedures for the spine.
- The Emergency Center treats more than 89,000 patients each year, making it the largest hospital emergency care provider in Montgomery and Prince George's counties and the fourth largest hospital emergency care provider in Maryland.
As a teaching hospital, Holy Cross Hospital is the only non-federal member of the Association of American Medical Colleges’ Council of Teaching Hospitals and Health Systems in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties.